November 22, 2021
14:00 - 15:30 CEST/CET
Belarus has undergone profound political changes in the past year. More than a year ago, the streets of Belarus were teaming with people protesting stolen presidential elections and asserting their voices matter. To stifle these voices, the government unleashed a war on civil society. The Belarusian government have arrested thousands of demonstrators and continues with repression against civil society, non-governmental organizations, and the independent media. With Belarus at a democratic crossroads, the international community needs to stand in solidarity with them, counter the government’s attempts to eviscerate civil society, provide unwavering, long-term support to Belarusian groups and activists.
– Erhard Busek (Institute for the Danube Region and Central Europe – IDM)
– Pavol Demeš (German Marshall Fund of the United States)
– Mark A. Dietzen (International Republican Institute Vilnius, Lithuania)
– Vytis Jurkonis (Freedom House)
– Aliaksandra Lohvinava (Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya’s Office)
– Renata Mieńkowska-Norkiene (University of Warsaw)
– Andrei Stryzhak (BySol – Belarus Solidarity Foundation)
– How can civil society organizations operate in the current mode?
– What method should be used for clear formulation of the policy priorities for the transition period in the country and future reform agenda?
– How to broaden the networks and advocacy channels available to Belarusian democratic civil society in Western democratic countries?
– How to enhance skills of Belarusian analysts to deliver impactful analysis and advocate for the implementation of their recommendations?
– What role can Western institutions play in helping Belarusian civil society to ensure a positive democratic change?
Moderation: Sebastian Schäffer (Institute for the Danube Region and Central Europe – IDM)
- Beginn: Montag, 22. November 2021, 14:00 Uhr
- Ende: Montag, 22. November 2021, 15:30 Uhr
- Ort: Online – Zoom Webinar
- Auskunft: Mag. Malwina Talik, MA
- Auskunft E-Mail: email@example.com
- Link: https://www.idm.at